Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Just Keep Moving


You know May is bike month here in New York City. It’s mayor Bloomberg’s polite way of telling us all that we better get off the couch and get a little exercise.

So far I’ve been riding my bike to 50th and Avenue of the Americas from Kensington at least three times a week. That’s a good sixty miles plus on this old fifty-year-old body.

And you know what, besides being a wonderful way to start the morning, I actually find it quite relaxing. There’s nothing more beautiful than riding through Prospect Park at eight in the morning and seeing the mist rising above some of those beautiful meadows. Just a little country in the city before I have to deal with the traffic on Flatbush Avenue, buy hey, at least most of it’s downhill from
the park.

Oh, don’t you worry you’re pretty head about a little sweat either, just take another shirt and you’ll be just fine before you sit at your desk. And make sure to give yourself a minute or so to change in
the restroom.

I know you Brooklyn bikers may take offense, but funny thing is, I find dealing with Manhattan much better when it comes to riding a bike too. You can cut up the West side bike path or even do a black diamond run right up 6th Avenue. I don’t know what it is, but I feel much safer riding in the city. But hey, maybe that’s just me.

Oh, and the ride home, the coolest trip down Broadway through Times Square. For some reason it takes me five minutes less to get home than to work in the mornings. One hour to work and fifty-five minutes home, yeah, must be those Canadian winds.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that it also helps you drop some pounds too. So far I lost 10 with my little pony.

So get off the couch and dust off that bike. If the commute to the city sounds scary to you then just try the loop in Prospect Park. And if I’m not on my bike, I may just be on my ten year old Roller Blades. Because I just bought me some brand new wheels and just have to keep this old Kensington body moving any way I can.

Ron Lopez
Website Counter

Free Counter

No comments: