Monday, May 18, 2009

A Rat Story


Ok, so today I’m riding my bike to work and navigating through one of these little streets in downtown Brooklyn right near City Tech.
And then right in front of me, wandering through the bright morning sun, a gigantic rat appears out of nowhere and starts to casually stroll on the sidewalk. Just walking along, enjoying the early morning Brooklyn air. With it’s grey fur blowing in the wind, and dragging its long brown tail on the concrete.

But then suddenly without warning, it scurries into the street, heading right towards a construction site on the other side.

By this time people are pointing at it, and two young girls start to scream at the top of their lungs.

“A rat, a rat, ahhhhhhhhh”
"Look out, a rat, look out!!!"

Well, with their backs to the rat, two tough looking construction workers with yellow hard hats are trying to pull a heavy metal gate closed after letting a dump truck leave. So with the two girls screaming, the rat starts to frantically run faster looking for an opening under the gate where the two hardhats are standing.

Ok, so this is one of these moments you never forget and will always remember until they shovel dirt on you.

The rat with nowhere to go dodges right between the construction workers feet. The two girls start screaming again and are now pointing at the rat thats between the guys boots, rubbing right against his ankles. The guy doesn’t know what the hell is going on, but then suddenly decides to look down at his feet where the girls are pointing.

Well, the guy starts screaming too and proceeds to jump in the air with the rat right under his boots. A real tough guy with a hard hat screaming like my five-year-old daughter after I take her Barbie away.

"Ahhhhh, Ahhhhh, get the fuck out of here you little bastard!!!!"

And I’m on my bike watching the whole thing cracking up. God forgive me, but it was the funniest thing I have ever seen.
Oh, and yes, I probably would have screamed louder than him.

Ron Lopez
Mopar195@yahoo.com

2 comments:

Pete said...

Ron,
I KNOW you would have screamed louder than him 'cause I remember you screaming when a freakin' Praying Mantis was on your shoulder and you wanted me to knock it off!
Still, it must have been funny as hell to see that hardhat dance the two-step....Pete

Anonymous said...

That is a really wonderful New York rat story. I think we all have one as there are more rats than humans in the big city.