Monday, March 22, 2010

A message from Marshal Goldberg...





"Hey Ron. Enjoy reading your blog. I've lived in Kensington all my life, on Ocean Parkway and Ditmas Ave. I'm a couple of years older than you and the only name I recognize in your "circle" was Randy Brandeis and Jason Kerner. I was friends with Randy's older brother Robbie. I remember Randy was real good in basketball. And Jason Kerner. I knew both him and his brother Mark. Did you know our Neighborhood launched 2 big time Rock careers? One is Marky Ramone of the Ramones, who grew up right across the street from me on Ocean Parkway and Ditmas, as Marc Bell, along with his twin brother Fred. I knew them just enough to flip baseball cards with them, and didn't know until many, many year later who he became.
And then there was Claude Schnell, who later went on to be in Dio, among other big rock groups of the early 80's LA Rock scene. I was in the same Junior High school class as Claude at Ditmas JHS 62 for a few years as well as at Erasmus Hall.
Here's my class picture from 6th Grade at PS 179 in 1966. I was the kid in the red shirt, and the stupid string tie(remember those) front row, holding up the class sign"

Here's my Ditmas JHS 6 9th Grade Class picture from 1969. I wasn't in that day, but maybe some readers will remember some faces and/or names. Take care

Marshal Goldberg

8 comments:

noisejoke said...

Hey Ron - You need a picture of The Ramones with Marky (Marc Bell). That cool Japanese 7" sleeve features a pic of the original band with first drummer Tommy.

Ron Lopez said...

Thanks noisejoke, I swapped out the picture!

Ron

Anonymous said...

marky ramone took my lunch money in ps217.I still hate him.

Pete said...

Marshall -
I don't believe that I know you although your name rings a bell. I'm Ron's cousin Pete Liria and I was a couple of years behind you in 179 and Ditmas (graduated 179 in 68 and Ditmas in 71). Who was your teacher in the 6th grade phot - Cutler? Your Ditmas photo mentions a Steven Hollander - I went to Ditmas with his younger brother Mitchell. You also said you lived on Ditmas and Ocean Parkway - did you know Mitchell Drucker? He was a friend in my classes as well. I also believe Joe Zino lived around there as well.

Marshal said...

Hi Pete. Teacher was Miss Mollin.
Didn't know Mitch Drucker or Joe Zino, but knew Stevie Hollander well.

Elliot James said...

Is that Mrs. Okin?

Anonymous said...

You don't know me but I'm looking for Randy Brandeis
I'm curious if you know his status ?
Thank You,
Mineagain12@aol.com

Anonymous said...

It's been a while. Robert Brandeis was absent that day. I have a full listing and would give a full listing in a few days