Monday, December 1, 2008

Church Avenue and stores that never left


Ok, so the photo of the old Beverly is something else right?
Well, according to what I was reading this picture was taken
sometime in the early 1950's.

Now even that's way before I was born!
And then I started to notice some of the stores right
next to the Beverly.

First there was a Jewish Deli, you really can't see the name
of it because of the marque. It lasted all the way into
the 70's. It may have been "Saul's Appetizing".

Then there was "Dutch Dairies", a little grocery store.
That place too was there in the 70's

And then our favorite bachelor party in the "backroom"
joint Scarola's. Now that place was there into the 90's
as far as I can remember. It was also a real nice little
Italian restaurant.

There are other stores further down towards East 2nd,
but the picture gets a little fuzzy.

So what's my point?
Well, my point is we had stores that lasted on Church
Avenue for anywhere from 25 to 40 years back then.

Now you're lucky if a new store lasts six months before
it goes out of business.

Where have we gone wrong is all I ask?
Where?

Ron Lopez

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stumbled across this blog and love it. I grew up on Tehama Street in the mid 50's and through the 60's and remember from that block not only "Saul's appetizing" where the "lox wings" were free for the asking but also Scarola's (my first date) and a little way's up a Loft's candy store (maybe the corner of East 2nd??). I think it was the next block that housed the Nom Tong Tea Garden restaurant with the best tomato egg drop soup in the land. Can you even find that soup anywhere anymore?
Thanks for these wonderful memories.....

Unknown said...

You forgot NEtells..bakery on the block..best rye bread anywhere and Charlotee Roose cakes,
To the left you had an o.t.b. parlour..and Libbys candy store, owned and run..by a male/female never knew..

Anonymous said...

I also grew up on Tehama street. The candy store was Barton’s

BrowardHM said...

The Jewish Deli next to Scarolas was Gorelicks.
Saul's appetizing was on the next block between East 2nd and Eastv3rd a few doors down from NE Tells Bakery.

Unknown said...

Grew up on Ocean Parkway and remember all those places. I now live in Florida for 43 years

Unknown said...

DJ Bruce Morrow use to go in there when he lived on Ocean Parkway.

Unknown said...

Nick and Lilly was a local breakfast, lunch, and dinner restaurant in that area. There also a Greek Diner on the corner of Church and MacDonald Avenue and Ben and Izzy's candy store was across the street.

Unknown said...

I forgot to mention that I attended PS 179, Ditmas Junior High, and Erasmus Hall High School.

Unknown said...

I forgot to mention that I attended PS 179, Ditmas Junior High, and Erasmus Hall High School.

Anonymous said...

Anyone from 40 or 45 Tehama?

Anonymous said...

...gotta' question: please, what was the name of the supermarket at approx east 4th across from the A&P? I thought it was called "Fairmart", but some are telling me it was "Waldbaums"?...Thanks

Fran G said...

lived at 45 Tehama st,there was also a German deli off Church ave

Anonymous said...

What was the name of the supermarket bet east 3rd and east 4th

Anonymous said...

Only stores that are still there are carvel and korner pizza the rest are all gone

Anonymous said...

Nom Tong - yes, the best tomato egg drop soup ever! Its been about 40 years since last having, and swear I can tastecand feel it burning my mouth right now. In the 60s and early 70s my parents would take us all there every other week. Stopped when my mom got ill and passed. Went back in 81 with my girlfriend when I was 20. Place was packed, the same old guy at the front cashing out customers says about 25 minutes for a table. He keeps glacing at me, then after 5 minutes says, Are you Tommy, Joe the Mailman's youngest son? I smiled and before I can yes, he's got a table for us, and says, Dinner on the house abd welcome back!