Monday, July 14, 2008

A Kensington before me


This is a very old picture of Church Avenue and the Beverly.
If you "Google" the name of the movie on the marquee you could probably figure out what year it was. Do you notice "Ebinger's" next to the Beverly? It was one of the best bakeries in Brooklyn.

After the bakery closed in the early 80's the store actually became a "Citibank. Could you image a Citibank right on Church Avenue?
Boy, did we really command respect a ways back.

And after Citibank closed it became the jewelry store which it
still is today. The News stand is still there today,
at least something survived the 80's.

Oh, and the trolly, get a load of that.
As the story goes, my dad lost his brakes going down the big hill on McDonald Avenue. He wasn't able to stop and hit a trolly broadside on Caton Avenue. In the days before lawsuits, everything worked out fine, and no one got hurt.

Oh, and buy the way. I gave the folks in the jewelry store this picture about ten years ago. I think they still have it somewhere on the wall in the back of the store.

I was never that kind to Citibank though,
and I could never figure out why.

Ron Lopez
Website Counter

Free Counter

2 comments:

♥ N o v a said...

Just wanted to drop a note to tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog. I'm not sure how I came across your site, but I'm glad I did. I love how you describe your hometown. I also live in Brooklyn - in Bensonhoist, although I'm an NYC newbie.

Anonymous said...

The Church Avenue trolley was the last trolley to go out of service on 10/31/1956. Trolleys were also on McDonald Avenue and a very long time ago (the 1930s) on 16th Avenue.

There was a trolley 'barn' (storage yard) on 20th Street & 10th Ave, where Bishop Ford is now.

Click on my name for tons of old Brooklyn trolley photos.